Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Fellowship

Over the weekend we were able to go into Kampala, the capital city which is about 30 minutes away, and meet up with some friends of Travis's. They are a couple who Travis worked with when he was in Sudan a few years back. They have just recently moved here to Uganda and plan on being here for several years. They have two adorable little girls who were so much fun to play with. It made me miss my little ballerinas. It will be fun to have them close by for when Travis and I want to spend some time with little ones so we don't get any ideas about having our own any time soon, LOL just kidding. :) It is kinda funny we have been teasing about babies a lot because there are TONS of storks here. I never realized how huge and really hideous they are. It was soooooo great to be able to spend the evening visiting with them they were really helpful giving us all kinds of helpful information about where to find things in Kampala. Shopping here is like a scavenger hunt, as we dive anywhere Travis and I are looking out the window scanning the view to see if there is anything of interest. There are two mall type places in Kampala where they import groceries and other stuff from South Africa and Kenya so we have been able to find some cereal and stuff there but because most of the stuff is imported it is REALLY expensive so we don't want to shop there for things that we can buy locally. However, the locals don't put all their stores together in a little mall like we do so they are spread out in the most random places so hence we keep our eyes open all the time.

I am also always keeping my eyes peeled for any place where I might be able to get involved volunteering or working. I have passed an orphanage and also saw a dance studio in Kampala. I have been told that there are a few private schools in Kampala who might be interested in having someone come and teach dance. We will just see what happens.

God also blessed us this weekend by hooking us up with another missionary couple who has a house right here in Entebbe. They spend most of their time out on Islands in lake Vitoria but have a house here for when they come back to stock up. They invited us over for dinner and we had a wonderful time hearing about their ministry and just getting to know them. They were also VERY helpful and gave us all kinds of helpful hints about living in Africa. Travis and I just keep remarking on how it is just so amazing how we were complete strangers to them and yet through Christ there was a bond and because of that they automatically took us under their wings and showered us with love. What beauty there is in the body of Christ.

Yesterday we were also able to hang out with one of the pilots that Travis worked with in the Congo who was passing through Entebbe on his way to go raft the Nile. I can't wait till Travis and I get the chance to go.

I think that my favorite adventurous endeavors have been riding the public transportation, like I mentioned earlier they drive CRAZY here and although it is kinda dangerous it is fun at the same time. It is also just neat to be with the people, once we have our own vehicle there probably won't be as many opportunities to take the local transportation. I also had a great time going to the Saturday market which was pretty much right across the street from our house. It is so neat to buy the veggies and fruit SO fresh and so cheap.

One more note before I close. My Cooking/baking has vastly improved since the disastrous peanut butter cookies. I want to through out a thank you to whoever has been praying for this because it truly is miraculous.


GOD BLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hey travis and kelsey,
i enjoyed your update. it gives me joy to see you enjoying Jesus, each other and life. i love you and pray for you often.
love, papa

Anonymous said...

oh my lil' kels. i miss you so. did you get my email about the archbishop? there's some information there for ya. i hope you are doing well. shoot me an email sometime if you get the chance. we should skype someday. i miss you tons and bunches. happy married life!